Sunday, September 30, 2007

SharePoint 2007 sites do not open. SQL Server problem?

Recently, I received a MOSS 2007 VPC image from my network administrator so that I can do my R&D work when not in office. After firing up the VPC image, I was just not able to start even the Central Administration site of SharePoint. It kept shouting "Cannot connect to the configuration database..." or something of that sort (Can't really remember the exact error message).

Since it very clearly said cannot connect to database, I fired up the SQL Server Management Studio (2005). This too would not let me connect to the database. Upon checking the Event Log, it had a couple of SQL Server related errors as follows:

1) Event ID 17182: TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x7e, status code 0x3a.
2) Event ID 17826: Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.
3) Event ID 17120: SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread. Check the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

I had no idea what this meant. All I knew was there's some configuration problem with SQL Server. So I started the SQL Server Configuration Manager. Under the "Protocols" section of the "SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration" section, there are 4 protocols listed:

  • Shared Memory
  • Named Pipes
  • TCP/IP
  • VIA

I noticed that all of these were "Enabled". I smelled something fishy here because I had never seen the VIA protocol "Enabled" ever in previous SQL Server 2005 installations. So, all I did was "Disable" the VIA protocol. I restarted the SQL Server service and then tried accessing the Central Administration of SharePoint and viola, it worked.

Frankly, I have no idea what the VIA protocol is used for and why enabling it would affect SQL Server execution. But, to get SharePoint working, it should be disabled. Maybe there is a way to enable it and still get SharePoint to work. Anyone has any idea on this?

1 comment:

Sanjay J. said...

VIA is special network interface that can perform faster than TCP. It is used for high end server. It requires special VIA hardware and libraries to work. The errorlog is indicating that VIA is enabled but the required VIA library fails to be loaded. If you do not have VIA setup for your machine. You shouldn't enable VIA. This is a common issue reported for server network libraries. So, until and unless you have the hardware, and therefore the library, enabling it as a supported network library on the server will result in the instance not being started up.